I love food. It is a problem and unfortunately has led to me being so overweight! In my pre-vegan days I would eat anything going, it was quite embarrassing the amount that I would eat. Going vegan hasn’t completely changed this, I still love food, however there is not anywhere near as much convenience food available quickly, this is a good thing and is probably one of the main factors in my weight loss so far.
While going vegan has in some ways restricted what I eat, it has also introduced me to a huge amount of foodstuffs I had never even heard of, nutritional yeast, liquid smoke, bags of gluten? What were these things? I had lived in a haze of animal products, I thought I ate a lot of fresh produce but the reality was I didn’t, every single meal had cheese or meat.
I’m no chef, although I will try my hand at some more experimental recipes! However, these pages will mainly focus on average meals created by me, a busy mother who is trying to lose weight. While possibly occasionally offering some inspiration, I expect to really give other vegans, non-vegans, or other people trying to lose weight some ideas of the food I eat on a day to day basis.
There are individual pages for breakfast, lunch, dinner, baking and eating out. Hopefully they offer some suggestions for eating. They will be updated frequently. You can also check out my Instagram and myfitnesspal to see more of what I eat.
For anyone just looking for a quick overview into what I eat here is a rough idea of what I may eat during a week.
- Maple Rasher, tomato and spinach sandwich on wholemeal toast
- Wholemeal toast with houmous, tomatoes and spinach
- Baked beans, hash brows, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, sometimes with brown toast and/or fry’s vegan sausages and/or maple rashers and/or potato scones (depends on how hungry I am, whether I will be having lunch or not)
- Refrigerator Porridge
- Wholemeal toast with vegan cream cheese, tomatoes and spinach
- I’m not a fan of cereal and any kind of milk, but obviously those are an option too, my daughter has cocoa shells from lidl and rice milk frequently.
- Houmous salad sandwich on wholemeal bread
- Falafel and Houmous salad sandwich on wholemeal bread
- Vegan pate on toast
- Homemade soup (tomato, vegetable, onion)
- Tomato and Onion pasta packet from tesco
- Subway salad
- Leftovers from the night before’s dinner
- Orzo/Pasta/Rice/Cous cous/Poha with whatever veg I have sauteed and a little sauce, usually hot chilli, this is my most common lunch
- Baked Potato with beans
- Bean chilli and rice
- Tomato pasta with vegetables
- Chickpea and vegetable curry
- Veggie burger in a sandwich thin with Slimming world chips and beans
- Spicy beans and vegetables in lettuce wraps
- Vegetable casserole, sometimes dumplings, potatoes and more veg
- Stir fry with tofu or seitan
- Roast dinner, with seitan/quorn fillet/vegetable bakes
- Vegan Haggis, carrot and turnip mash, veg and gravy
- Vegan sausages, mashed potatoes and gravy
- Linda McCartney vegan pie, potatoes and vegetables
- Wrap pizza with sauteed vegetables and sometimes some vegan cheese
- Mushroom and Leek Risotto
- Saag Aloo, rice, veg
As you can see there are plenty of options there. I eat other meals but these are the most common choices, hopefully this helps someone wondering about what vegans eat! Check out my instagram for more food ideas.