I’m trying to save some time cooking this year and would love to start using my slow cooker, so one of the first recipes I thought I would try was curried barley and mushrooms. This is out of one of my old non-vegan slow cooker cookbooks, although it has quite a lot of vegan options, and more that can certainly be veganised. This ended up more like a biryani but was very tasty, the barley was light and fluffy but very flavourful.
Curried Barley and Mushrooms
- 1 Bunch of Spring Onions
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 2 tsp Mild Curry Paste
- 1 1/2 cups of Vegetable Stock
- 1 cup of Pearl Barley
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 cup of Coconut Milk (I made mine from 2 tsp of dehydrated coconut mix)
- 400g Mushrooms
- 1 tin of Garden Peas
- Chop spring onions, sweat for a couple of minutes.
- Add turmeric and mix well. Add curry paste and cook for 30 seconds.
- Rinse pearl barley and add to the pot, put back on a very mild heat for a minute or so, until well coated.
- Add stock, coconut milk and a bay leaf and bring to the boil.
- Put in slow cooker, cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4. This took less time that I thought it would so I kept it on warm for a while until we were ready to eat.
- When ready to server sautee mushrooms and drain a tin of peas then mix these both in with the grains. Serve with rice and vegetables
Definitely recommended if you like Indian flavour foods, it was something a little different as well with the barley. Very healthy and filling. I had leftovers the next day as well which was just as nice re-heated.
I also think I will start including a rough amount for calories, considering I am calorie counting! This served 4 people at around 273 calories a portion. Any rice/vegetables are extra. I had it with brown rice and veg which took the meal up to around 500 calories. Not too bad for such a big meal!
Also just wanted to say that so far I have had no takeaways this year! I know it’s only the 8th of January but my husband has had 2 lots of takeaway food so far so I’m feeling good about it! I’ve been fasting most days, having smoothies most days and it’s going well.