I’m not usually a huge fan of creamy (or white coloured) foods but I love garlic and that savoury umami flavour so thought I would give vegan alfredo a try this weekend. I added quite a few green vegetables to it to bulk it out and add a little extra goodness, and keep it in line with my majority of plant based foods. This recipe is for my large single portion but you can scale it up as required.
Vegan Alfredo Recipe
- 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Large heaped tbsp wholewheat flour
- Roughly 200ml Unsweetened Roasted Almond Milk
- 1tsp Garlic Powder
- 2tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 80g Wholewheat spaghetti
- Black Pepper
- Extra vegetables – steamed brocolli, sauteed courgette, spinach
- Put on the pasta to cook.
- Slice the garlic and and sautee in the olive oil until golden but not burned.
- Add the flour and mix well so it clumps up.
- Mix in the almond milk slowly, adding a little at a time. Keep adding until it makes a smooth mix.
- Add the nutritional yeast, garlic powder and seasonings. I kind of lost track how much garlic powder I added as I absolutely love garlic.
- If the sauce is too lumpy it can be blended at this point, although I didn’t need to and I was happy to have the garlic in it. If it’s too thick add more milk.
- At this point I got my green vegetables ready and I just mixed it all together.
Calorie wise this came in around 600 calories, it was worth every bite. I have seen other recipes with much more oil and fat but half a tbsp was about as far as I was willing to go.