Vegan Mac and Cheese is something my daughter is always asking for. To be honest, I have an issue with white coloured food (excluding cauliflower and alpro vegan cream) so I’ve never really missed it, but for her sake I have attempted to make it a couple of times with no real success.
In previous attempts with potatoes and carrots the sauce lacked creaminess, however I had seen a few recipes pop up on facebook using cashews which certainly appeared to improve the consistency so thought I would give it a try. Additionally it doesn’t take that long, although a little preparation of the cashews is required in the morning/night before.
Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 200g dried macaroni
- 1 cup of white potato peeled and chopped finely
- 1/4 cup of carrots peeled and chopped finely
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 3/4 cup of water from the boiled vegetables
- 1/2 cup of raw cashews
- 1/4 cup of rice milk
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- In the morning before I left for work I put my cashews in a bowl of water to soften them a little, my blender is good but not amazingly good so I hoped this would help and it did.
- When you are ready to start making it put the macaroni on to boil.
- Peel and chop the veg into small chunks, the smaller they are the quicker it cooks. Place them all together in boiling water and boil until they are all soft. For me this was around 15 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the veg and put in the blender. Drain the cashews and add all of the other ingredients.
- Blend until nice and smooth.
- Mix with the macaroni and serve. Next time I may use some vegan cheese and breadcrumbs and put in the oven.
That’s it, nice and simple, tasty and filling. To get over my white food issues I added some sauteed mushrooms and onions and sprinkled a liberal amount of chilli flakes on but my daughter had as is and ate the lot.
Remember you can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, My Fitness Pal and Fitbit. You can also now find my on Strava to follow my slow (hopefully getting faster) runs. Add me on any or all, I love new friends on all social media for support 🙂