Rice and beans, one of the best combinations of food. Protein, Carbs, and deliciously filling, I just love rice and beans and hence I love Vegan Jambalaya.
At the moment we are in lock down, so I’m currently using up dried and tinned goods that I have, and there are no complaints there from me, these already make up a large part of my diet.
I love spices, although I am trying to encourage my vegan 11 year old daughter to eat more whole foods, so have kept this tamed down a bit for my usual. We had this vegan jambalaya with green vegetables and chapati which I’ll post a recipe for soon.
- 300 g Brown Rice White rice can be used, but lower cooking time accordingly
- 1 large tin Chickpeas Drained
- 1 large tin Kidney Beans Drained
- 1 White Onion
- 8 White Mushrooms
- 50 g Frozen Peas
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 5 Water or Vegetable Stock
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- Sautee chopped onions in a little oil or water until transluscent.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and sautee until cooked.
- Add tinned tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and spices and stir well. Add rice and stock/water and stir well.
- Cook uncovered in large frying pan until liquid has evaporated and rice is cooked. More water or stock may need to be added.
- Add drained kidney beans and chickpeas and cook for another two minutes.
- Once beans are cooked through, and ready to be served add a tbsp of tahini and mix well. Serve with green vegetables.