I’ve recently been on a real money saving kick, and looking at food waste there can often be a few things getting put in the recycling bin every week. One thing is bananas, we go through a fair amount of them but there are always a few hanging about getting mushy. I do occasionally freeze them but then I just never use them, so I was looking for a recipe that fits with my whole foods plant based push, and something to use up ingredients when I came up with this recipe.
I have seen a few like this but I have changed those recipes, a little, and tend not to measure ingredients anymore, I just kind of throw it all together. I have made 12 of these every weekend and have one after dinner during the week, sometimes with lunch, plus my husband has taken a few too.
Banana Oat Muffins
- 4 Bananas
- 1/2 cup Wholewheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Wholegrain Oats
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Raisins This could be blueberries too
- 1/2 cup Soy milk Could need more or less depending on consistency
- 1 tsp Peanut Butter Not necessary but can add a nice flavour
- Mash the bananas in a big bowl using a fork
- In a separate bowl mix flour, oats, baking powder and dry seasonings
- Add dry mix to banana, add raisins and mix
- Add peanut butter and enough soy milk to loosen, shouldn't be too runny but also shouldn't be too thick
- Fill 12 small cupcake cups (I use silicone), they should be fairly filled
- Bake in the oven for around 15 - 20 minutes. The consistency of these will not be like usual cupcakes, less cake like, but they are delicious nonetheless and a cheap and cheerful sweet treat which is pretty good for you.
They are a nice little snack, I keep mine in the fridge, as there is quite a lot of banana, I feel they should be refrigerated. They can only cost about 5 – 10p a serving too, so definitely a winner there on the money front!
Thanks for reading, let me know if you have made this or something similar, or maybe you have your own one pot recipes to share? You can find mon Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, My Fitness Pal and Fitbit. Add me on any or all, I love new friends on all social media for support and updates from me!