I’m always looking for quick week night meals which are healthy, delicious and fit in with my calorie goals. Added to this myself and my husband have fairly different tastes so it can be difficult to find meals that suit us both (and often I end up cooking multiple things at once!).
This meal though hit the spot, he loves creamy meals and this was nice and creamy, but calorie wise it wasn’t too bad for a fairly big portion. The added calories are in the cashews, these have so many calories for such little things, but they really do add to the creaminess. I suppose if you wanted to avoid some of these you could make a roux with vegan margarine, flour and milk, and for other meals I do this occasionally so may try at some point, but with the cashews it was lovely.
Creamy Tomato and Basil Pasta
- 1 Large Onion
- 4 Medium Tomatoes
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 160 Grams Wholewheat Pasta
- 40 Grams Cashews (Raw)
- 20 Grams Oatly Creme Fraiche (Optional)
- 10 Grams Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Basil
- Drizzle Olive Oil
- Pinch Salt and Pepper
- Preferably the night before soak your cashews, but if you forget or don't have time you can put them in a small bowl with boiling water, this will help to soften them quickly.
- Chop the garlic, onion, tomatoes into quarters. Chop half of the basil, and put on oven tray. Drizzle with oil, give a shake, and add some salt and pepper for seasoning as required.
- Put your pasta on to cook in a pot of boiling water
- After 10 minutes in the oven, give your tomato mix a shake and put back in for another 15 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is done bring out your tomato mix and put into a high speed blender with the drained cashews, more basil, nutritional yeast. Give this a blast to make into a paste.
- Drain your pasta and mix in the tomato paste. Add more salt and pepper to taste. At this point I added a dollop of oatly creme fraiche, this is my favourite thing at the moment for creamy dishes. It is a total additional ingredient but I find having a tub of it in the fridge is great for meals like this.
- I served this with a large serving of steamed kale and spinach and it was very filling.
Let me know how you found this recipe! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, My Fitness Pal and Fitbit. Add me on any or all, I love new friends on all social media for support and updates from me!