As a household we generally eat quite a lot of curries, the spices and the flavours are just something I love and make regularly. We usually have rice as our side to curry, but sometimes we have a bread/flour based alternative. I have tried a few recipes for flatbreads or wraps before but I’m always keen to speed up the cooking time.
This garlic flatbread recipe is really quick to make, and if you aren’t a fan of garlic you can leave out the garlic powder. Alternatively, these could be made using nutritional yeast, chilli’s, anything you like.
- 250 g Plain Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper To Taste
- 30 ml Olive Oil
- Mix all dry ingredients, olive oil and water. The mix should form a thick dough, if it doesn't come together add a little more water and mix well.
- Knead on a floured surface for 5 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan to a medium heat and wipe with a little oil. I do this by putting some on a piece of kitchen roll. Separate the dough into 4 - 6 parts and roll out.
- Cook each flatbread for 1-2 minutes on each side. Pile up on each other and cover to keep warm. You can brush with some vegan margerine such as flora buttery for added deliciousness (and calories).
The only problem with these is stopping yourself eating them! They are best warm, I cooked these then layered them up and kept them in the slightly warmed oven until they were ready to eat with our curry.