Well, we are still in lockdown and lockdown along with panic buying has meant that some specific staples haven’t been available in the supermarkets. One thing I’ve not been able to get a hold of for 3 weeks now is dried rice. I am onto our last packet, which isn’t great considering how much we eat!
On one of my minimal trips to the shops I did manage to get some microwave jasmine rice, it was one of the only types available, so decided to make a stir fry using vegetables I had left in the fridge and some tofu.
This recipe is very versatile, you can really add in whatever vegetables you have. For spices I literally only used soy sauce. This might not be to everyones taste but it was fine to me! It was so quick to make and deliciously umami flavoured, I have a real thing for salty/umami food. Of note though, I used reduced sodium soy sauce, this is optional of course,
Jasmine Fried Rice
- 1 Onion
- 10 Mushrooms White or fancy
- 2 Carrots
- 100 g Frozen Peas
- 1 Broccoli Head
- 2 Jasmine Rice Microwave Packets
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- Water sautee chopped onions.
- Once transluscent add chopped mushrooms and julienne carrots. I julienne my carrots using my peeler, if you don't have a peeler you can chop thinly, as thin as possible to cook as quickly as possible. Add broccoli chopped into small florets.
- Once cooked, add the microwave packets of rice. Alternatively you could use 250 - 300g cooked and cooled jasmine rice. I don't use this rice often enough to have a bag of it, so for this recipe just tend to use the pre-cooked packets.
- Mix well and add soy sauce to taste.
- Add peas and stir well, ensuring rice is cooked through. You can add a little olive oil if the rice is sticking to the pan and adding a little water doesn't help.
I had mine with smoked tofu and kale, which of course is completely optional. The calorie total is with tofu, without it would be around 400 calories.