I’m not usually a huge fan of creamy (or white coloured) foods but I love garlic and that savoury umami flavour so thought I would give vegan alfredo a try this weekend. I added quite a few green vegetables to it to bulk it out and add a little extra goodness, and keep it in line with my majority of plant based foods. This recipe is for my large single portion but you can scale it up as required.
Vegan Alfredo Recipe
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Wholewheat Flour Large Heaped
- 200 Ml Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 80 Grams Wholewheat Pasta
- 1 Pinch Black Pepper
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 Serving Green Vegetables Steamed Broccoli, Sauteed Courgette, Spinach
- Put pasta on to cook
- Slice garlic and sautee in olive oil until golden
- Add flour and mix well so it clumps up
- Mix in almond milk slowly, adding a little at a time. Add all milk until it makes a smooth mix
- Add nutritional yeast, garlic powder and seasonings. At this point I lost track of how much garlic powder I added but I love garlic powder, definitely keeping away vampires!
- If the sauce is a little lumpy it can be blended at this point. If it's too thick add a little more milk
- Mix the sauce with drained pasta and vegetables.
Calorie wise this came in around 450 calories, it was worth every bite. The calories will change depending on how many veggies you use, but if you stick to low calorie density vegetables then it’s all good nutrients and fibre so I wouldn’t hold back! I have seen other recipes with much more oil and fat but half a tbsp was about as far as I was willing to go without compromising the flavour.