Sometimes you just want a plate of pasta, there is something comforting about creamy pasta, and I just love smoky flavours. This vegan smoky pasta, using smoked paprika for flavour, is very quick to make, but incredibly tasty, and flexible with vegetables. I use onions, garlic, mushrooms and spinach but you could also use others, courgettes and kale would be good too.
The longest part of this recipe is putting your cashew on to soak the morning or night before, but if you forget this then a trick I have used is to put cashews in boiling water for around 10 to 15 minutes. While this doesn’t soften quite as much as hours of soaking, it’s a good alternative.
I’ve decided as Slimming World is so popular to start adding the syns to meals. While I don’t follow this myself, there are a lot of vegans out there looking for recipes. While my recipies aren’t based on Slimming World’s method, they are mostly unprocessed food so may be good for some of you who follow it. I will caveat this with not having access to the app, so the syns may not be exactly right, but I’ll do my best! I believe this recipe has 8.5 syns, 7.5 for the cashews, 1 for the nutritional yeast, and you can use the unsweetened soy milk as a healthy extra A. (Please correct me if I’m wrong!)
Vegan smoky pasta
- 140 g Wholewheat Spaghetti
- 40 g Cashew Nuts Raw
- 1 Onion White
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 10 Mushrooms
- 200 g Spinach
- 250 ml Unsweetened Soy Milk Or your favourite plant based milk
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Granules
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- The night before, put your cashews in a bowl of water. If you forget then you can add them to boiling water for about 10 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and add your spaghetti (or other pasta shapes)
- Water sautee the chopped onion until translucent.
- Add garlic and Mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Blend the cashews and soy milk. Add to the pan with the vegetables. Add the nutritional yeast, spices, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for around 5 - 10 minutes, the sauce will begin to thicken. At this point you may need to add some more milk.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Drain the pasta and stir in the sauce.